If you want a convenient way to filter patients for reports, correspondence, billing statements, or other office tasks (such as applying billing or late charges), then you should be using billing types. Nearly every report and list you can generate in Dentrix can be filtered by billing type, so assigning patients to an appropriate billing type allows you to generate reports and lists for a specific group of patients.
To assign a billing type to a family:
- From the Family File, select the head-of-household for the family.
- Double-click on the Balance/Billing Type block to open the Billing/Payment Agreement Information dialog box.
- In the Billing Type section, select the billing type you want to assign to the family.
- Click OK.
- Billing types allow you to categorize your patients based on their account type. You can use billing types to include or exclude groups of patients from reports, letter merges, and billing statements, or to indicate that they are part of a specific PPO insurance plan.
- It’s important to take the time to assign patients to the correct billing type if they have a change in financial situation so they are included with the right groups of patients on reports and billing statements.
- Billing types are assigned to the entire family. If you change a billing type for one patient in a family, the billing type for all other family members will be changed as well.
- If you want to make a note about why you are changing the billing type, click the Guarantor Notes button to access the family’s guarantor notes, and enter the note there.
For more information about how to customize billing types, as well as a list of the 10 default billing types that come standard with Dentrix, see the Customizing Billing Types topic in Dentrix Help.