The Dentrix Prescriptions module allows you to create a library of medicines your office can prescribe. You can also use the module to track which medications have been prescribed and how often.
To create a prescription for a patient:
- From a patient-specific Dentrix module, select a patient.
- From the toolbar, click the Prescriptions button to open the Patient Prescriptions dialog box.
Note: The Prescriptions button changes depending on whether the patient has previous prescriptions stored in Dentrix. If the patient doesn’t have any, the button is simply an Rx symbol, and when clicked, a blank Patient Prescriptions dialog box appears. If you have filled prescriptions for this patient in the past, the button is an Rx symbol with a prescription bottle icon. When clicked, the Patient Prescriptions dialog box appears and lists previous prescriptions stored in Dentrix for that patient.Note: The Health History icon (the medical cross) appears in the Patient Prescriptions dialog box allowing you to check for drug allergies or other medical conditions before you create a prescription for a patient. If the cross on the button is red, the patient has a critical health history item. A yellow cross icon indicates non-critical item(s), and a clear cross icon means no health history items are listed for this patient. Click the icon to open the patient’s Health History to view more details.
- Click New to open the New Patient Prescription dialog box.
- By default, the current date displays in the Date field. Change the date if necessary.
- From the Description drop-down list, select a medication. The remaining fields fill in automatically based on what you select.
- You can customize the prescription information for the patient, if needed using the following fields:
- Drug Name – the name of the drug.
- Sig – the dosage interval and instructions.
- Disp – the amount to dispense.
- Refills – Enter or the number of times the prescription can be refilled.
- Dispense as Written – Mark this option to limit the prescription to the specified drug.
- Generic Substitution Permitted – Mark this option to allow a generic substitution for a brand name drug.
- Notes – Enter or modify the patient instructions. Click the Spell-check icon to check the spelling of the note text.
Note: If you manually change any of the above fields, the prescription is considered non-standard and will appear with a check mark in the NS column of the Patient Prescriptions dialog box, and with an asterisk (*) next to the date on the Prescriptions Report. Changes made to the prescription will only apply to the selected patient.
- From the Prescriber drop-down list, select the provider who is prescribing the medication.
- Click Print to print the prescription. The prescription prints to the printer selected in the Prescription Setup, and Dentrix adds the prescription to the list of patient prescriptions in the Patient Prescriptions dialog box.
For additional information about the Prescriptions module, see the various topics linked to in the Prescriptions Overview topic in Dentrix Help.