Because the family situations of your patients are varied, there will be times when a patient in your practice is covered through an insurance subscriber who is not a patient. This can happen in cases of divorce or when an adult child is still covered by their parent’s insurance. In situations like this, even though the subscriber isn’t a patient you need to add them to Dentrix so that you can assign their insurance coverage to your patient.
- In the Family File, select the patient who will have insurance coverage through the non-patient subscriber, and click File > Add New Family Member.
- Enter the subscriber’s name, set the status to Non-Patient, enter the birthdate and other information including address and phone number if they are different from the other members of the family, and click OK.
- Double-click the non-patient’s name in the family list to select them, and then double-click the Insurance block.
- Select the insurance carrier, enter the subscriber ID and other insurance information, and then click OK.
- From the family list, double-click the name of the patient to be covered by the non-patient’s insurance, and then double-click the Insurance block.
- Assign the non-patient’s insurance coverage as either primary or secondary insurance and click OK.
- Repeat as needed for other family members.
- The insurance subscriber must be a member of the same family in Dentrix as the covered patient.
- The non-patient subscriber can have a different address from the rest of the family in Dentrix, as may be the case with divorced or unmarried parents who are insurance subscribers for their children that do not live with them full time.
- Non-patients don’t show up on reports and will only receive correspondence if they’ve been designated as the head of household.
- To learn more, read Adding Family Members and Assigning Insurance to Non-subscribers in the Dentrix Help.