The Dentrix time clock has a place to enter your team members’ hourly pay rates or salaries. But do you hesitate to enter those numbers because someone might look at what everyone makes and then stir up some in-office salary drama? With a few simple steps, you can limit who has access to the areas of Dentrix where it is possible to view salary information.
Here is a two-layered approach to locking down access to pay rates:
Layer 1: Remove User Permissions
First, your password administrator can grant access to this information for specific individuals, and remove it from others.
- Open the Office Manager, and click Maintenance > Practice Setup > Passwords > User Passwords Setup.
- In the User ID box, select a User ID of a team member.
- In the Security Options Rights box, expand the Time Clock section. If the individual should NOT access the information, remove the checkmarks for Print Payroll Report and Time Clock, Setup. On the flip-side, if the user SHOULD have access, check those boxes.
- Click the Save button to save these user rights.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for each user.
- When finished, click Close.
Layer 2: Verify User Access
Next, you can change the options to prevent someone from accessing this part of the program using another’s login. This kind of thing typically happens when an authorized user steps away from their computer for a minute, leaving it open for an unauthorized user to take over.
- Open the Office Manager, and click Maintenance > Practice Setup > Passwords > Practice Passwords Setup.
- Select Print Payroll Report and Time Clock, Setup. Then click the Verify User Before Access button. As you do this, these tasks are moved to the bottom of the Security Options list and an asterisk is added to them.
- Click OK to save your changes.
Now you can feel confident about who has access to the payroll figures in the Dentrix Time Clock. If someone tries to access it, and they do not have rights, they will be stopped.
An additional benefit: With the changes we made, the Audit Trail report will now log the date, time, and user for each attempt to open Time Clock Setup or to print the Payroll Report. It will also tell you if someone tried to override the user ID with another, and if they were successful (or not) in doing that.<
For additional information, read the following topics in Dentrix Help: