It happens to every dentist. A patient comes in with an dental issue you’d rather refer to someone else—such as a specialist, an oral surgeon, or an orthodontist.
So the question becomes, “What do I need to do in Dentrix if I’m referring out the procedures to another provider?”
There are a couple of things you must do. First, enter the treatment-planned procedures in the Patient Chart as usual. And second, refer the procedures to another provider.
Next, print a referral slip for your patient to give to the referred doctor. The referral slip will contain the patient’s information, the referring provider, referral information, a list of the referred procedure(s), and any additional notes you want to enter.
To print a referral slip:
- From the Patient Chart, select the patient to be referred.
- From the File menu, select Print and then click Referral Slip.
- In the Date Range fields, enter the range of dates for the referred procedures you want to print on the referral slip.
Note: Dentrix only prints the referred procedures that were treatment-planned within the date range you enter here, and which are flagged as referred.
- Enter any notes you want to print on the referral slip (up to 500 characters) in the Additional Notes field.
- Do one of the following:
- To print the referral slip, click Print.
- To send the referral slip to the Batch Processor, click Batch.
For additional information see our previous post titled, Referring Several Procedures at Once, or read Charting Referred Procedures in Dentrix Magazine.