The Patient Chart is a clinical record of patient care, and as such, it must be completely accurate. To help maintain accurate clinical records, Dentrix allows you to attach diagnostic codes to procedures using the Progress Notes toolbar. Diagnostic codes, however, cannot be attached to conditions, clinical notes, exams, or referrals.
To attach a diagnostic code to a procedure:
- From the Patient Chart’s Progress Notes panel, click the procedure to which you want to attach a diagnostic code.
- From the Progress Notes toolbar, click the Attach Dental Diagnostics to Selected Procedure button.
- From the Select Diagnostic Code(s) dialog box, search for and/or select a code category and click Add.
- Click OK. Dentrix attaches the diagnostic code(s) to the procedure and the letter “D” appears in the Diagnosis column of the Progress Notes panel.
- If you print insurance claims rather than submitting them electronically, you must select a claim format (DX2012 for example) that supports the inclusion of diagnostic codes.
- Dentrix versions G6.1 or later can automatically add ICD-10 diagnostic codes through a CDT Update utility.
You may also be interested in this video titled, Diagnostic Codes on Dental Claim Forms.